-- Industry Links --
When A.I. Can Transcribe Everything. The Atlantic. Human level accuracy is almost here, which will increase the demand for, and availability of, transcriptions of everything. What could it mean? " Captioning on YouTube videos could be standard, while radio shows and podcasts could become accessible to the hard of hearing on a mass scale. Calls to acquaintances, friends, and old flames could be archived and searched in the same way that social-media messages and emails are, or intercepted and hoarded by law-enforcement agencies." Exciting. And scary.
Google Open Sources One Machine Learning Model To Rule Them All. ZDNet. Neural networks have tended to have a consistent topology. You hear about convolutional neural nets or recurrent neural nets or other examples. Google has combined a bunch of different ideas into a single neural net. "They claim that the single model can concurrently learn a number of tasks from multiple domains and that the model is capable of transferring knowledge. It is able to learn from tasks with a large amount of training data and apply that knowledge to tasks where data is limited." Pretty awesome innovation.
The National Science Review has a great interview with Thomas Dietrich. NSR. Dietrich is the President of the Association for the Advancement of Artificial Intelligence, so he has great insights into what is going on in the ecosystem. When asked about the impact of A.I. on jobs, he notes, "I think it is similarly very difficult today to predict what the jobs of the future will be. There will certainly be jobs involved in creating AI systems, teaching them, customizing them and repairing them. I suspect that it will not be cost-effective to completely automate most existing jobs. Instead, maybe 80% of each job will be automated, but a human will need to do the remaining 20%. That human thereby becomes much more valuable and will be paid well."
Berkeley A.I. Research now has a blog. BAIR Blog. The first post, Learning to Reason With Neural Module Networks, is technical, but excellent.
Inside Microsoft's A.I. Comeback. Wired. A great inside look at how Microsoft wooed and signed deep learning pioneer Yoshua Bengio.
Ginni Rometty says that IBM "woke up the A.I. world". CNBC. Rometty makes some excellent points about how differently IBM is positioned compared to the other tech giants with powerful A.I.. IBM is the only one solely focused on business use cases. In this weekend's newsletter, we will have a look at a new report on machine intelligence that will come out later this week, and one point of analysis in that report is why vertical A.I. is so important. It seems IBM is well positioned if that is true. I've asked the author his thoughts on IBM, so stay tuned Sunday to see what he says.
A very philosophical piece on A.I. - is the concern intelligence or autonomy? NPR.