Facebook Chief AI Scientist Yann LeCun has quit Twitter following a heated discussion about bias in machine learning. The debate centered on a tweet from LeCun about the AI tool Face Depixelizer tool, which reconstructed a pixelated image of Barack Obama as a white man.
- In the original tweet, LeCun said the AI tool's result was expected because it was trained on FlickFaceHQ, a dataset of mostly images of white people.
- He received pushback from the community, including from Ethiopian American computer scientist Timnit Gebru, who tweeted that one "can’t just reduce harms caused by ML to dataset bias."
- LeCun apologized last week and asked to have a discussion with Gebru about bias in AI.
- Yesterday, LeCun published a Facebook post about his core beliefs and values and said it would be his "last substantial post on Twitter."
- You can read more about the debate here.