Wyze will allow certain users of its smart home cameras to "pay what they want" for AI-based Person Detection. Yesterday, Wyze emailed 1.3 million Wyze Cam users, saying it will re-launch Person Detection with a "name-your-price" model. The users can choose to pay nothing and still receive the service or opt for a monthly contribution.
- The feature relies on machine learning models to detect and differentiate between objects, animals, and humans in camera footage, alerting users when someone is at the door.
- Wyze temporarily removed Person Detection from its Wyze Cam in January. It previously ran on-device but will now use the cloud.
- The removal came after Apple acquired AI startup Xnor.ai, the firm behind Wyze's on-device person detection.
- In the email, Wyze says that this cloud-based version is "very expensive." It plans to reevaluate the "pay as you want" method in several months.
- Wyze also recently launched its first outdoor camera for $50.