Motional, a joint venture of Hyundai and Aptiv, began testing its autonomous vehicles this month on public roads in Las Vegas. The company is testing its self-driving cars without a human safety driver in the vehicle, known as Level 4 autonomous driving.
- Motional was first announced in March 2020, and Hyundai said it would invest $1.6B to better compete against its rivals in the self-driving vehicle industry. Motional is currently valued at $4B.
- Motional has also tested its vehicles in Boston and Pittsburgh. They have a physical presence in Las Vegas, Singapore, and Seoul.
- In December, Motional announced it would partner with Lyft to launch robotaxis in multiple cities across the U.S. in 2023.
- Since 2018, Aptiv has partnered with Lyft to offer a robotaxi service (with a human safety driver) in Las Vegas. The company has completed 100,000 rides.
- Motional's engineers launched the world's first robotaxi pilot in Singapore in 2016.
- In 2015, they were behind the first cross-country autonomous trip from New York to San Francisco.