$AMZN (3:18 PM EST): $1,581.74 ( ↑ 0.47%) More
Here are the 10 most important stories about Amazon today, ranked in order of importance. Please hit reply and tell us if we missed anything, or if you disagree with the ranking (and why).
1. Acer is planning to roll out virtual assistant Alexa across its PC lineup. The Aspire 5, Nitro 5 Spin, Spin 5 (both 13-inch and 15-inch versions), Spin 3, and the Switch 7 “Black Edition," will be the first models with Alexa built-in. Alexa will offer the same capabilities as the Echo. Alexa is also in Windows PC 10. — THE VERGE
89% of companies still use multiple video conferencing platforms.
How does your company stack up vs the industry? The State of Video Conferencing 2018 report showcases the different video conferencing options and their ideal setups, so you can assess whether your communication technology needs to change.
How does your company compare? Check out the report to find out.
2. Former NBC head of current programming Vernon Sanders will serve as co-head of television at Amazon Studios. He will work next to Albert Cheng and oversee creative and production for Amazon Prime Video. Cheng will continue to oversee the business side. “Vernon’s undeniable expertise in nurturing talent and creative material will be a huge asset to our studio," said Amazon Studios' Jennifer Salke. — THE HOLLYWOOD REPORTER
3. Social media app Amazon Spark has struggled since its release in 2017. The app was intended to promote product discovery and social sharing within Amazon, but it hasn't caught on. Both brands and consumers have reportedly been confused about the purpose of the app. Robb Hecht, adjunct professor of Marketing Baruch College in New York City, said English speaking markets haven’t fully embraced e-commerce within social platforms yet, causing Spark to get off to a slow start. — FORBES
4. Amazon Web Services plans to expand its cloud computing operations in Latin America, less than two months after it opened an office in Buenos Aires. Amazon already has offices in Brazil, Chile, Colombia and Mexico. "We have to be partners of Latin America. There's lots of opportunities, amazing talent," said Teresa Carlson, company vice president, worldwide public sector. — WHTC
5. Amazon has renewed “The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel” for a third season. Amy Sherman-Palladino hinted at the renewal while she accepted a Peabody Award. The show is centered around an Upper West Side housewife who enters standup comedy after her marriage falls apart. Amazon Studios head Jennifer Salke confirmed after Saturday's event that the show was greenlit for a third season. Season 3 will likely get 10 installments. — VARIETY
6. Amazon moved to the eighth spot on Forbes Magazine's list of the nation's largest corporations. Walmart was No. 1, grabbing the top spot for the 14th time and sixth year in a row. Amazon moved into the top 10 for the first time. Four of this year's Fortune 500 companies have at least $500 billion in market value; they include Amazon, Apple, Alphabet, the parent company of online search giant Google, Microsoft. — USA TODAY
7. Amazon pays employees $5,000 to quit if they are not happy
8. Push notifications come to Alexa devices
9. Google is putting pressure on Amazon Web Services
10. An Amazon warehouse that ships giant-sized purchases