Amazon announced yesterday that it was removing products featuring QAnon, the right-wing conspiracy theory. This comes after the attacks on the Capitol last week that involved many individuals who identify as part of QAnon.
- Amazon has not removed President Trump and MAGA merchandise from its platform. Rival Shopify announced the closure of Trump's official campaign store on Thursday.
- Amazon has not specified whether it will restrict or remove sales of Trump-affiliated products.
- The QAnon conspiracy theory, and products associated with it, have already faced bans by Etsy, Peloton, Facebook, and others.
- Around 60% of the items sold on Amazon are sold by third-party sellers, who list items on the site independent of Amazon and make use of its advertising and delivery services.
- Amazon also removed the social medial platform Parler from its cloud hosting services, and Parler has sued Amazon for removing it in response.