Amazon has begun testing Rivian's electric delivery vans in San Francisco. Last month, the e-commerce tested the vans in Los Angeles and plans to roll them out to 14 more cities in the U.S. later this year.
- Amazon purchased 100,000 vans in September 2019 and plans to have 10,000 in operation by next year.
- Rivian unveiled the van in October and it can travel up to 150 miles on a single charge. The vehicle also has an advanced driver-assist system and exterior cameras that provide a 360-degree view.
- The electric vehicle producer has raised $8.2B since inception and was valued at $27.6B in January. Amazon is an investor in the company, which is looking to go public at a $50B valuation later this year.
- Amazon's aim to electrify its delivery fleet is part of its Climate Pledge to hit “net zero” greenhouse gas emissions by 2030.
- Last month, Amazon deployed 100 electric rickshaws in seven Indian cities.
- Amazon delivered more than 20 million packages in North America and Europe last year using electric delivery vehicles.