Apple has announced a line of over-the-ear, noise-canceling headphones called the AirPods Max. The $549 headphones come with a number of premium features from its other products, including adaptive EQ, audio sharing, and the Apple Watch's Digital Crown. Apple says the headphones are designed for "a wide variety of head shapes and sizes" and feature eight microphones to sense and block noise from multiple directions.
- Release date: Dec. 15
- Price: $549
- Battery life: 20 hours
- Available colors: space gray, silver, sky blue, green, pink
- Available for preorder on Apple.com.
- Comes with a carrying case that is already colloquially being referred to as the AirPurse. (See below.)
- The Verge says Apple is likely to succeed with the headphones even though the AirPods Max are pricier than similar products from Bose, Sony, and AKG. Apple's AirPods and AirPods Pro have "dominated the true wireless earbuds market," and achieved a momentum likely to carry forward into 2021.
- Gizmodo believes the $549 price point might be a bit too high for some consumers when Sony's comparable WH-1000XM4 headphones cost about half that.
- Techradar says Apple has improved its track record with audio products since it purchased the Beats Audio brand in 2014 and introduced the well-reviewed AirPods (2016) and HomePod (2018).