5. ⚖️ Pacific Gas and Electric Co. may pay the California town of Paradise, as well as some Northern California counties, $1 billion in a settlement after a string of wildfires. The settlement covers fires started by PG&E equipment in 2015 and 2017 as well as last year's Camp Fire in Paradise. Both caused massive destruction throughout the region. A federal bankruptcy judge still must approve the settlement. -- SACRAMENTO BEE
6. 🌎 Canada has approved an oil pipeline expansion project and said government profits linked to the project will be used for clean energy. The new pipeline, near an existing one, will increase capacity to 890,000 barrels of oil a day from 300,000. It represents about $500 million in annual corporate tax revenue that will be used for clean energy projects, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said. -- CNN
7. 🌎 Permafrost in the Canadian Arctic is warming up 70 years earlier than expected, according to a team from the University of Alaska Fairbanks. The observation indicates that the current climate is warmer than it has ever been in the past 5,000 years or so, one of the researchers said. Scientists worry that if permafrost thaws too quickly, it may release heat-trapping gases that could favor temperature increases. -- REUTERS
8. 🎢 Disney World has raised the prices of its annual passes ahead of the Aug. 29 opening of a Star Wars land at its Florida park. The Platinum Plus pass for those who don't live in Florida will increase by 28 percent to $1,219, while the Florida-resident version goes up 18 percent to $999. -- THEME PARK INSIDER
9. 🎵 Countdown to summer... That lovely season begins on Friday, so to get yourself ready, have a listen to this Summer Throwback playlist.