The Death of Microservice Madness in 2018
- Microservices are over used by many dev teams, and the ops load can be massive. I’m glad to see people taking a more sane approach to splitting out their applications.
- Try out the demo
and check all the transformations on babel.
Making a cross-platform mobile game in Reason/OCaml
- The first of its kind. Compiles the same ReasonML game codebase for the web, Android, iOS, and a native mac app.
Understanding the React Source Code, Part 1 -
Understand what happens when you create React components.
- Backbone is dead, React is up and Express is king
After.js - Next.js-like framework for server-rendered React apps built with React Router 4
- “If Next.js
and React Router
had a baby…”
How does the Node main process start?
- tl;dr src/node_main.cc, but this is a detailed discussion of each step in the startup process based on its c++ code.
yuzu - Nintendo Switch Emulator
- an experimental open-source emulator for the Nintendo Switch from the creators of the Citra
Nintendo 3DS emulator. At present, only useful for debugging and homebrew development.
gel - N64-like object software renderer in 512 lines
- for all your n64 object rendering needs
Speedometer 2.0: A Benchmark for Modern Web App Responsiveness
- An update to the 2014 Speedometer. It has new framework support, including Elm.
Luna Lang Beta released
Markdown Templates in Phoenix
- a lightweight rendering engine that lets you directly use markdown files as templates (and partials) in Phoenix. From Boyd Multerer.
Ruby 2.5.0 has a feature nobody talks about
- If you're analyzing Code Coverage in your Ruby project, you can now verify coverage on a per-branch rather than a per-line basis. No more untested paths!
- The big feature in this release is `mix format` - a new code formatter for Elixir. Time for normalized code formatting! They also added a dynamic supervisor module to add features to :simple_one_for_one.
JS Paint: A web-based MS Paint remake
- Paint in 2017 for web? Check out this implementation, they did it well!
Keep Webpack Fast: A Field Guide for Better Build Performance
- Better performance for webpack
CrookedStyleSheets: Webpage tracking only using CSS (and no JS)
here, this could be a really big deal for the email world, but ad tracking has been doing similar techniques for years
Twirp: a sweet new RPC framework for Go
- A structured RPC framework, but with an emphasis on simplicity. Because we need more structured data.
A free course on CSS Grid
- by Wes Bos and sponsored by Mozilla, don’t miss it!
Go Support for AWS Lambda
- Now you can write your lambda functions in Go!
Problem-Solving for the CS Technical Interview
- Free Stanford course
Oculus Start: Technical and Financial Resources for Beginning VR Developers
- Oculus development program.
Rust in 2018: it's way easier to use!
- Thoughts on Rust in 2018.
Refinement Types for Ruby
- A paper on introducing refinement types for Ruby. Translates the new RDL
Ruby type system into Rosette
- Congrats to the bootstrap team, I love their examples and prebuilt components.
Download 243 Free eBooks on Design, Data, Software, Web Development & Business from O’Reilly Media
- Clickbait, but it’s real! Wow!
Microsoft Curls Too
- curl is now shipped by default in Windows 10. Next up: vim?
Scaling Kubernetes to 2,500 Nodes
- a tour de force of troubleshooting large network issues