1. WordPress creator Matt Mullenweg's Automattic has acquired Tumblr. While it's not certain how much Mullenweg purchased Tumblr for, The Wall Street Journal says the deal is valued at a "nominal amount." Automattic will now gain 200 employees from Tumblr, while Mullenweg says he plans to re-architect Tumblr's backend with WordPress. - INSIDE SOCIAL
2. Google has released OpenCensus Web [OC Web]. This is a library that collects front-end performance data, thus making it easy for developers to monitor an app's health and diagnose issues. Developers can use OC Web to capture traces of initial page loads, create custom spans for their web application for tasks or code involved in user interaction, and more. - PACKT
3. Apple announced it will pay up to $1.5 million to hackers for reporting vulnerabilities during the Black Hat security conference. The tech giant said it will pay the $1 million for a severe deadly exploit, making this the largest bug bounty offered by any major tech company. It will throw in a 50% bonus to those who find bugs in beta versions of its software, making the maximum reward $1.5 million. In addition, Apple also announced its bug bounty program will now cover security vulnerabilities in of its operating systems, including iCloud, macOS, watchOS, tvOS, and iPadOS. The news comes after Microsoft's cloud computing service, Azure, announced it has also doubled its top Azure bug bounty to $40,000. - THE HACKER NEWS
For more cloud-related news, subscribe to Inside Cloud.
4. WooCommerce 3.7 is now available. This latest version requires WordPress version 4.9 and the minimum required PHP version to be 5.6. In addition, the new release ships with an improved Product Blocks 2.3 for the WordPress Block Editor, featuring the likes of a new Product Categories List block and more. - WOOCOMMERCE
6. The BBC says it noticed a 25 percent increase in performance after moving from <iframe> to Shadow DOM for the embedded interactive visualizations on its website. - MEDIUM
7. This post delves into some of the major new ES2019 features, as well as some tips and tricks. - CSS-TRICKS
8. Wccftech is currently selling The Complete Google Cloud Mastery Bundle course by Stone River eLearning for $39 instead of its list price of $1,392 until Aug. 14. - WCCTFECH
9. Ali Golshan, CTO and co-founder of StackRox, explains what causes container security issues and how to improve. - JAXENTER
Editor: Bobby Cherry (senior editor at Inside, who’s always on social media).