5. Did you know that the history of drones dates back more than a century? Digital Trends recently published this article showing the 10 most significant milestones in the UAV industry. (Hint: It starts in 1907 with the creation of the world's first quadcopter).
6. A drone's faulty charger or battery triggered a fire in Colorado Springs, Colorado on Sunday, the local fire department said. Two people suffered minor injuries from the apartment blaze, which was quickly extinguished.
7. Pasco-Hernando State College in New Port Richey, Florida is now offering a drone-pilot degree program believed to be the state's first.
8. A University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign professor is leading a project that could pair drones with ride-sharing vehicles. The project, backed by a $1 million National Science Foundation (NSF) grant, could see drones attach to the roof of vehicles as they travel to their final delivery destinations.
9. The Police Department in Hanford, California is the latest law-enforcement agency to launch a drone program in the U.S. The department acquired a DJI Matrice 100, which cost about $9,000 with all the necessary bells and whistles.
10. San Diego-based Ocean Aero has received a multimillion-dollar investment in a second round of capital funding from Energy Innovation Capital and Lockheed Martin. The company develops hybrid wind- and solar-powered drones.