Costco has begun offering curbside pickup at three locations in Albuquerque, New Mexico, as part of a pilot program. Costco will use Instacart's technology to fulfill orders. Last year, Costco partnered with Instacart to offer same-day delivery in Canada and the U.S.
- Curbside pickup has grown in popularity during the pandemic. Target's curbside pickup sales grew by 500% in December.
- By August 2020, Walmart offered curbside pickup at 3,500 stores, up from 1,400 in Q1 2018.
- Costco previously resisted offering the feature as it would have to introduce designated parking spaces and additional employees to fulfill orders.
- According to CFO Richard Galanti, Costco doesn't have plans to roll out the feature nationwide at the moment. Galanti had said in September the retailer wasn't prepared to offer curbside pickup.
- Costco has done well during the pandemic. In Q1 2021, its online sales in Q1 2021 surged by 86.4% YoY, while net sales rose by 16.9% to $42.35B.