American retailers have announced 4,969 new store openings so far this year, a 58.3% increase YoY, according to Coresight Research. Retailers have said they'll close 4,889 stores this year, a 37.9% drop from 2020.
- Dollar General has said it will open 1,050 new stores this year, the most of any retailer.
- Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, store closures outpaced openings by 150% last year.
- Christopher & Banks, which filed for bankruptcy in January, has closed 449 stores, the most of any retailer.
- In April, UBS said 80,000 U.S. stores across all sectors (9% of the current total) would permanently close by 2026.
- Last month, the WSJ said Amazon was looking to open physical stores.