Amazon began making deliveries on electric rickshaws in seven Indian cities. The three-wheelers are produced by Indian manufacturer Mahindra Electric, and the tech giant has deployed 100 rickshaws so far.
- Rickshaws are prevalent in India but are normally used to transport people. Mahindra's vehicles are designed to transport cargo up to 500kg.
- Amazon has deployed the "Treo Zor" model, which can travel up to 78 miles on a single charge and reach a maximum speed of 31 mph.
- Globally the tech giant has pledged to integrate 100,000 electric vehicles into its delivery fleet by 2030. It plans to operate 10,000 EVs in India by 2025.
- Amazon has ordered 100,000 electric delivery vans from Rivian and aims to deploy them in 16 U.S. cities this year.
- The moves are part of Amazon's Climate pledge to hit “net zero” greenhouse gas emissions by 2030.