ANALYSIS: What should the media do if Trump loses and doesn't leave?
Something that would have been unthinkable half a decade ago now seems eminently plausible: The incumbent president could lose his bid for reelection and simply not accept it.
A number of publications have tried to make sense of this and detail the possible ramifications if it comes to fruition:
- Financial Times: "What happens if Trump loses but refuses to concede?"
- FiveThirtyEight: "What if Trump Loses and Won't Leave?"
- CNN: "If Trump loses and won't leave, it could get ugly."
- The Guardian: "What if Trump loses but refuses to leave office? Here's the worst-case scenario."
- The Intercept: "What If Trump Won't Leave?"
Those headlines are eerily-similar, mostly because of how clear it's become that this has a real chance of happening. A number of factors make this scenario more likely...