Former UFC champion B.J. Penn was arrested on suspicion of DUI in Hawaii. "The Prodigy" was released hours later pending an investigation.
- The incident happened at 4:51 p.m. on Saturday in the town of Honoka’a. The 42-year-old Penn was apprehended after police officers responded to a reckless driving complaint.
- A video of the arrest later surfaced online. It showed Penn yelling out obscenities and racial slurs as he was being escorted to the police vehicle.
- This isn't Penn's first DUI case. In February 2020, his pickup truck allegedly flipped over in front of a mall. He was hospitalized and placed under investigation.
- Penn was one of the most feared fighters during his time as the lightweight and welterweight UFC champion in the 2000s. His decline began in 2011 after he was battered by Nick Diaz. He hasn't won a fight since.
- Penn was released from the UFC in 2019 after being involved in a bar brawl. He left the company on a seven-fight losing streak.