On Friday I published demographic data furnished by Wonder Media Network CEO Shira Atkins, which showed that out of 32 Luminary podcasts (the number for which Atkins' team could find info) half will be hosted by white men. On Friday afternoon, Luminary COO and Chief of Staff Lisa Schrader supplied me with new data, which takes into account all 41 of Luminary's announced shows:
- 59 percent of Luminary shows are led by women or people of color (16 females + 8 POC males);
- 12 percent of Luminary shows are led by hosts that identify as LGBTQA;
- 39 percent of hosts are female (12 percent POC + 27 percent white);
- 61 percent of hosts are male (20 percent POC + 41 percent white);
- 68 percent of the hosts are white; 32 percent of the hosts are POC.
Lisa also supplied me with the following statement: "With 59 percent of our shows led by women or people of color and 12 percent of our creators from the LGBTQA community, Luminary is proud of our commitment to diversity and inclusivity. We will continue to expand our network with more diverse voices in the coming weeks and months, and intend to meaningfully impact diversity in podcasting over time."
Readers, as always, hit reply if you have thoughts on any of the above. And thanks to Lisa, who was responsive and straightforward in her answers.
— Skye Pillsbury