- New York Times opinion columnist and podcast entrepreneur Kara Swisher [pictured] will begin hosting a new podcast "under the banner of Opinion Audio" this fall. According to a spokesperson, Kara will continue hosting Vox's Pivot podcast with Scott Galloway, but her interview-style podcast Recode Decode will come to an end this summer.
- Third Coast is canceling its in-person 2020 audio festival (sob). Let organizers know what you think of a potential virtual event by completing this survey.
- According to Podtrac's podcast data, downloads and audience growth increased last week. "This is the first week both measures were positive since the week of March 2-8." reads the firm's weekly report.
- In a Bloomberg story about Luminary's first year, Nick Quah is quoted as saying "I have not seen any suggestion this app has blown up or built anything that feels like a base." Read the whole thing here.
- Spotify made headlines this month by developing curated playlists for six countries, recording the company's "largest monthly increase" in podcast downloads last month, and adding This American Life to its catalog.
- Will Ferrell and Paul Rudd will star in an Apple TV+ adapted version of Wondery's The Shrink Next Door. In its new form, this show about a creepy doctor who takes full control over someone else's life, will be reborn as a dark comedy.
- Each week Bello Collective is publishing a calendar of live online podcast events. This week you can register for events featuring Latif Nasser, Malcolm Gladwell, Misha Euceph, Julie Shapiro & Jody Avirgan, Rekha Murthy, and more.
- #GivingTuesdayNow is an initiative whereby participants recommend podcasts by releasing a podcast about great podcasts or promoting them on social media. It kicks off May 5 with a month of various activities designed to help out the podcast community. Learn more here.
- Over at #PodRevDay, participants are encouraged to review podcasts on the 8th day of each month. After posting a review, share the link on Twitter with the hashtag. Details here.