Anchor told The Verge they are recalibrating their copycat detection system. They also say they’re making it simpler for creators to report pirated shows.
- This is in response to Podnews and creators discovering pirated podcasts on the platform.
- How the piracy works: the copycats download the pods from a different source and reupload to Anchor with false metadata, where they appear as new podcasts that can be monetized. Since creators get paid based on number of listeners, they were especially enraged about this.
- In August, Erika Nardini, Barstool Sports’ CEO, tweeted pictures of podcast “Call Her Daddy” copycats being hosted on Anchor. She also asked Anchor to call her back.
- Aaron Mahnke discovered pirated versions of “American Shadows” and was not happy about it.
- In his interview with The Verge, co-founder Mike Mignano said that Anchor did not pay any of the copycats.