Apple Podcasts published a page explaining automatic downloads on different devices, including Apple Watch. From how downloads work on episodic vs. serialized shows to when they get paused, the page covers it all.
- The page mentions that automatic downloads are in place to "provide a seamless experience" for users. Analytics on Apple Podcasts Connect promise to "help creators understand how listeners" engage with their content.
- An automatic download occurs when a show that a listener follows releases new episodes. New episodes on shows that are followed appear in the Up Next queue; these are the episodes that have been downloaded.
- Depending on whether a podcast is episodic or serialized, between one and three episodes get downloaded, respectively.
- For serialized shows that are identified as complete series, i.e., all the episodes have been published, the first three episodes from the first season get downloaded.
- Apple Watch adds one episode from each of the top 10 shows available in the listener's Up Next queue.
- The page also shows how listeners can turn off automatic downloads and remove them too.