Everyone knows the low response rates for cold communications – according to prospecting consultant Jason Bay, it's 1% for cold emails and 1.48% for cold calls. But Bay says you can improve your cold outreach results by shifting your goals. Instead of looking for a sale, focus on learning more about your prospects and their business. He suggests following what he calls the Reply Method:
- Relevant results. Tell them about results your other customers have seen.
- Empathy. Prospects want to know they've been heard. Care about their problems both individually and in their industry.
- Personalization. Do the work and customize your outreach. Don't send generic communications.
- Laser-focus. Be brief, get to the point. Provide value, not just a distraction in their day.
- You-oriented. Prospects don't care about your company. They want to know how you're going to make them a hero within their company.