Threat actor group Babuk's full source code has been leaked on a Russian-speaking hacking forum. After spurring unwanted pressure following their hack of Washington DC's Metropolitan Police Department, the gang claims to have shut down their operations.
- Some group members left to form Babuk V2.
- The leak was sent to the forum by a former member claiming to be suffering from terminal cancer looking to "live like a human."
- The leak contains a link that has everything one would need to create a functional ransomware executable.
- Babuk's ransomware uses elliptic-curve cryptography (ECC).
- McAfee Enterprise confirmed that the source code is legitimate.