Earlier this week, the music video for Rick Astley's song "Never Gonna Give You Up" crossed the 1 billion view milestone on YouTube. The clip owes much of its popularity and longevity to the practice of "Rickrolling," in which friends prank one another by covertly sending links to the extremely catchy, upbeat tune.
- Rickrolling started in the 4chan community in 2007.
- By 2008, the meme was so popular, Astley was invited to perform the song on a float during Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.
- The top YouTube video of all time -- the kids' clip "Baby Shark" -- has over 9 billion views to date.
- Astley posted a brief video thanking his fans on Twitter.
- "Never Gonna Give You Up," Astley's debut single, was originally released on July 27, 1987.