Coffee Chat: How did you get a job at a VC firm?: Bethany Crystal, general manager at USV, notes that there is no one way to enter the industry, and shares her story.
Immigration Shifts 2019: Prep & Resources for Startups: From a16z. (Video)
European Venture Capital Activity Reaches All-Time High: PitchBook’s 4Q 2018 European Venture Report reported the figure for 2018 at €20B ($22.7B).
- Today’s VC Refresher looks into the departure of Slack chief product officer April Underwood.
FirstCry (Pune, India), online baby products retailer: $150M from SoftBank. Is the first tranche of a larger round expected to come in at ~$400M.
- Ekuaibao (China), corporate expense management SaaS: $15M B led by Mandra Capital, participation from DCM, Future.
- Zylox-Tongqiao Medical (Hangzhou, China), interventional and implantable peripheral vascular device: $14.7M B led by SDIC Fund Management.
- Today’s top funding category was Consumer Internet for $152,000,000 raised over two deals.
- The average funding round came in at $11,845,217.
- To unlock the content below (three more VC Reads, the complete VC Refresher, 21 more rounds, and the funding breakdown) upgrade to Inside Premium.
Today's VC Reads topics include the impact of changing immigration policy on the tech world, the fall of a well-known startup, the discussion at Davos, and more.
Funded companies today include an online will-writing service, a fitness equipment supplier, a dockless bike-sharing service, and others.
The departure coincides with planning for a direct listing and the decision to change the company's logo.
Today's funding total was divided into 10 categories.
Inside VC's writer/curator Stephen currently lives in Berlin and is pursuing a Master's degree in philosophy. He otherwise enjoys cooking Indian/Southeast Asian cuisine, received his Bachelors in NYC, and lived almost two years in Bucharest.
Editing team: Lon Harris (editor-in-chief at Inside.com, game-master at Screen Junkies), Krystle Vermes (Breaking news editor at Inside, B2B marketing news reporter, host of the "All Day Paranormal" podcast), and Susmita Baral (editor at Inside, recent bylines in NatGeo, Teen Vogue, and Quartz. Runs the biggest mac and cheese account on Instagram).