A Twitter user leaked an apparent image of the Oculus Quest 2. The image from known leaker WalkingCat shows many similarities between the existing Oculus Quest and the future second-generation version, which is said to be a smaller and lighter version of its predecessor. The image shows a mostly white slimmed-down headset, a simpler plastic strap, a lack of sliders, and a USB-C and headphone jack that are closer together.
- The leaked image still shows four tracking cameras and similar-looking controllers as the original Quest.
- The Quest 2 will reportedly be 10-15% lighter and have a higher screen refresh rate of 90Hz, versus 60Hz for the original version.
- Walking Cat said the new version is believed to be called the Oculus Quest 2.
- Twitter user @pal__official said they noticed a "couple different problems" in the leaked image, such as no side strap adjustability, no controller refresh, and no ipd slider.
- Oculus did not comment on the image to CNET.
- Mass production will begin on a new Facebook Oculus VR headset later this month, a source told Nikkei Asian Review.
- The unnamed headset could be similar to the Oculus Rift, which has an S version with better weight distribution for more comfort and better optics, VRFocus reports.
- According to Bloomberg, Oculus is testing multiple versions of the second-gen headset.
- Oculus hasn't said when the new headset will become available, though reports have speculated that it will be delayed until 2021.