Developers can now submit OpenXR apps to sell on the Oculus Quest and Oculus Rift stores. Road to VR's Ben Lang called it a "big step" in favor of cross-platform development, noting that it allows developers to build a single app to work across all platforms.
- OpenXR allows developers to build around one API instead of porting apps to many different APIs, making cross-platform VR development easier.
- The initial version of the OpenXR standard, an open API for use with AR and VR devices, was released a year ago.
- Recently, Valve released a preview of OpenXR support in SteamVR. Microsoft announced initial OpenXR support for HoloLens 2 and Windows Mixed Reality headsets.
- Khronos has a status update on the state of OpenXR.
- Valve’s Joe Ludwig said developers and engine vendors can now begin looking at OpenXR as a foundation for their new content.