The Walking Dead: Onslaught is now available on PSVR and PC VR. The sixth title from developer Survios has garnered mostly mixed reviews from critics, who say it's more basic and less nuanced than "The Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners" but channels elements from the AMC series. It was released digitally today and will have a disc release in October.
Here's what you need to know:
- The post-apocalyptic action game, which is official series canon, allows gamers to play as Rick, Michonne, Daryl, and Carol to collect resources, rebuild Alexandria, and defend themselves against zombies.
- It's set between Season 8 and Season 9 of the series. A campaign stars Daryl (played by Norman Reedus), but players can control other characters on Scavenger missions to hunt for supplies.
- UploadVR's David Jagneaux gave it 2 out of 5 stars, writing that it's "not a very good game, but it could have been."
- IGN's Gabriel Moss called it a "scaled-down implementation" that feels more like a "generic zombie game with a little extra walker skin," though he did say it has movement and comfort options that "feel well-paced for VR play."
- Pure Playstation's Chris Harding said he thoroughly enjoyed the game and noted its reasonable price point of $29.99. Compared to "Saints & Sinners," he leans toward Onslaught for its "sheer fun factor" and ability to play favorite characters from one of his favorite shows.
Tips for playing
Survios' Amy Pantea shared eight tips from the development team to better survive the game:
- Choose your loadout wisely.
- Pay attention to your surroundings.
- Harder difficulties yield higher rewards.
- Get physical with melee combat.
- New to VR? Experiment with settings and find your fit.
- Position yourself to gain combat advantage.
- When push comes to shove, try both.
- Grab everything you can find.
- Bonus: For a more immersive experience, try the Minimal HUD and Phantom Limbs options in the menu.