Apple is testing a massive pixel density of 3,000ppi display for its AR/VR headset. The company is reportedly exploring MicroLED technology and laser-drilled holes to accommodate more pixels.
- Apple requested a sample from APS Holdings of its fine metal mask that can deliver the higher resolution screen.
- It could test the sample to see if it works in the mass production of a VR/AR headset.
- MicroOLED's response times are in the microseconds and more conducive for VR/AR applications compared to OLED.
- Recent reports noted that Apple's future AR/VR headset will likely require an iPhone or Mac connection for full functionality.
- Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co. will produce the AR/VR chips for the device, due out in 2022 at the earliest.